Hickory, N.C. — The Lenoir-Rhyne Men’s Soccer team opened their 2021 season with a 2-0 win over visiting Florida Tech. Carles Montoliu Lobo broke the scoreless tie with his first career goal in the 54th minute, and then added an assist in the 85th minute to complete the 2-0 victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lenoir-Rhyne 2, Florida Tech 0
Records: Lenoir-Rhyne (1-0), Florida Tech (1-1)
Location: Moretz Sports Complex | Hickory, N.C.
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- After a scoreless first half, The Bears got on the board in the 54th minute as Carles Montoliu Lobo scored after a pass from Victor Cascon. It was Montoliu Lobo first career goal.
- Camden Coleman got a clean sheet for the Bears in goal with three saves including a key save in the 61th minute. Coleman stopped a header from Florida Tech’s Stian Olsen right in front of the goal to keep the game 1-0.
- Jaime De Manuel then added an insurance goal in the 85th minute to gave the Bears the 2-0 win.
- Lenoir-Rhyne out-shot the Panthers 16-8 on the night with nine different Bears getting a shot.
- Both team had five corner kicks on the night, Florida Tech had all five of theirs in the second half.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Tonight was the first ever meeting between these programs.
- Both teams received votes in the United Soccer Coaches Pre-season Top 25 Poll that was released on August 4.
- Florida Tech was coming off a 2-1 overtime win at #6 Wingate on Thursday night.
- Tonight was Coach Jack Winter‘s 80th career match at the helm.
- Tonight was the Bears fourth shutout at home in their last six games. Bears have only allowed two goals at Moretz Sports Complex during that time span.
- Cascon has four assists in his last three regular season games dating back to last year.
UP NEXT: Bears will travel to Young Harris on Wednesday September 15th at 7:00 PM.