NORMAN – No. 30 Oklahoma dropped a heartbreaker to No. 32 Texas Tech 4-3 Sunday as the match came down to a third set on the final court in a four-hour contest.
OU (9-4) opened the match with the doubles point before trading singles wins with the Lady Raiders in what turned out to be a marathon match.
In doubles, No. 19 Carmen and Ivana Corley got things started as they ran past No. 45 Kaitlin Staines and Lisa Mays 6-2 at the top spot. The Peruvian duo of Kianah Motosono and Dana Guzman cliched the point for the second time this weekend with a 6-2 rout of Olivia Peet and Metka Komac at the No. 3 line.
Guzman dominated in singles once again, taking out the No. 75 player in the nation while only giving up two games. Guzman ran past No. 75 Staines 6-0, 6-2, finishing her match on an ace at deuce point.
Texas Tech tied the match at 2-all as OU’s Capurro fell to No. 97 Skriabina 6-3, 6-4, at the No. 3 line and No. 97 Podlinska was defeated by Peet 6-4, 7-5 at the five spot.
No. 102 Carmen Corley put the Sooners up 3-2 as she outlasted Mays on court one, 6-4, 1-6, 6-3.
No. 79 Ivana Corley took Tech’s Miller to a third set tiebreaker, but fell 2-6, 6-3, 7-6 (1). The match came down to court six, where Motosono narrowly fell to Komac after a battle, 6-7 (7), 7-6 (10), 7-5, and Texas Tech took the match.
The Sooners are home next weekend to host Oklahoma State Friday at 4 p.m., followed by UCF on Sunday at noon for the final non-conference clash of the year.
1. #102 Carmen Corley (OU) def. Lisa Mays (TTU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
2. Dana Guzman (OU) def. #75 Kaitlin Staines (TTU) 6-0, 6-2
3. #97 Margarita Skriabina (TTU) def. Martina Capurro (OU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Nell Miller (TTU) def. #79 Ivana Corley (OU) 2-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-1)
5. Olivia Peet (TTU) def. #92 Marcelina Podlinska (OU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Metka Komac (TTU) def. Kianah Motosono (OU) 6-7 (7-9), 7-6 (12-10), 7-5
1. #19 Carmen Corley/Ivana Corley (OU) def. #45 Kaitlin Staines/Lisa Mays (TTU) 6-2
2. Camila Romero/Martina Capurro (OU) def. Margarita Skriabina/Nell Miller (TTU) 4-3
3. Kianah Motosono/Dana Guzman (OU) def. Olivia Peet/Metka Komac (TTU) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,3,5,1,4,6)