MELBOURN, FLA. – For the third time in series history, Lenoir-Rhyne and Florida Tech met with high stakes. In this one, the No. 11 Bears and No. 4 Panthers played to a scoreless draw. With the double OT tie, the Bears have played in four overtimes in 48 hours but had some chances late in the contest to come away with a win.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #11 Lenoir-Rhyne 0, #4 Florida Tech 0
Records: #11 Lenoir-Rhyne (1-0-2), Florida Tech (2-0-1)
Location: Melbourn, Fla. | Rick Stottler Field
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- The Bears looked to put one on the board in the 60th minute when Vivien Becker Peralta headed in a free kick. However, while the Bears were celebrating the goal, offsides was called which wiped away the goal.
- Earlier in the game, Ria Acton’s first-half free kick bounced off the crossbar.
- Grayson Cameron was credited with nine saves in the clean sheet and Neve Duston led LR with four shots.
- Florida Tech held a slim 15-13 advantage in shots but the Bears outshot the hosts 4-2 in the two overtime periods.
- LR took seven corners to just three for Florida Tech.
- The match saw six yellow cards handed out with four going against the Panthers.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- This was the second time in series history, these two teams met with each being ranked inside the top 11. In 2011, the No. 3 Panthers topped the No. 7 Bears 2-1 in Hickory, The other matchup between the two programs came in the 2010 Elite Eight which went down as a tie but Florida Tech advanced on PKs.
- This is the first time since 2014 that LR had back-to-back ties.
- This extends the LR streak of not losing to a non-conference opponent. The last regular-season loss to a non-league foe came back on Oct. 10, 2018 in a 2-1 loss against Limestone.
UP NEXT: The Bears return to action on Wednesday when they host Francis Marion at 7 p.m.